Hi

I'm looking for a simple solution to a width problem on a page showing rows of
items with various other bits of info for each row.

I would like to keep the info in columns and to make the columns certain
widths.
I have only found a way of doing this by using tables, but I'd rather avoid
tables because they are more heavyweight, less flexible while authoring and do
not collapse gracefully when width of the viewport is small (i.e. this needs to
look alright on a PDA screen without a horizontal scrollbar.)

Here's the HTML in questions:

http://www.gargantus.com/sylvie/list.html

In the first block on this page, I use a div per row and I can't find a way of
setting width. The second block is a table.

I found setting the width on inline elements is only possible if they are
floated, and then it is impossible to vertically align them

Any help would be appreciated,
Thanks
Adam