G'day all,

I'm trying to build an extensible interface refresh for the backend
of a product we sell.

The interface I'm trying to build might be thought of as 'full
screen'; with a sort of frames layout feel. There's a primary nav bar
across the top of the screen, a secondary nav bar down the left of
the screen (which ideally would occupy the full height of the window
minus the height of the nav bar and have overflow: auto), a heading
bar with some action buttons, a large content pane and a set of
action buttons.

To give you an idea, I've mocked it up in tables so you can see where
I'm heading, and the start of a standards design, but I've become
bogged down:

Tables version:
http://www.iqmultimedia.com.au/kit/slogger/tables.html

Standards version:
http://www.iqmultimedia.com.au/kit/slogger/standards.html

The tables one doesn't work properly in anything except FF, but I
don't really mind because I'm not likely to use a design with tables
for layout.

The issues I have are the following:
- Can anyone think of a way to impose a scrollbar on the left-hand
'Stuff goes here!' secondary nav when it expands beyond the window
bounds?
- How can I allow the developers to create between 0 and 2 each of
neutral, destructive and constructive buttons while keeping them all
in line and tidy? Buttons are likely to get icons too if deemed
feasible.

I'm in a rather unique situation where the product is going to
require Firefox (in order to fall under the support requirements for
the application), so I have a lot more freedom when it comes to nice
selectors etc. in CSS.

Any help you can provide would be appreciated (I'm in a situation
where I have to explain to my boss why I shouldn't just use the
tables layout and get a moveon with the development).

Cheers,

Kit Grose