Thank you very much. I got it to work properly now.

From: Rafael [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Tuesday, October 23, 2007 10:02 AM
To: Ian Bethune
Cc: css-d@lists.css-discuss.org
Subject: Re: [css-d] Adding a faux column on my blog

Ian Bethune wrote:

So far I did what you said and have only gotten 1 column to work. I have
tried many different things but nothing has worked. I did figure out why it
wasn't calling the gif in the first place as I had made an error in the
code. Once I fixed it, it started to work. But I can get the right side to
go if I put that in again or have it repeat-y both. Here is the section of
the code that I've been working in.

#content_box {background:#fff url('images/faux.gif') repeat-y left; width:
970px; text-align: left; float: left; clear: both; }

               #content { width: 510px; padding: 0 0 0 10px; float: left;
}

               #sidebar { background:#f2f2f2; width: 210px; padding: 0 0 0
10px; float: right; }

               #l_sidebar { background:#f2f2f2; width: 210px; padding: 0 0
0 10px; float: left; }

        #footer { background:#00005f; width: 970px; padding: 1.2em 0 0 0;
border-top: 2px solid #ccc; float: center; clear: both; }

Thanks for your quick reply yesterday.

Ian

    Hi, Ian.
    The problem is that your background image should have both columns.
Since it only has one (and you set the background at the left) only the left
column works. You're using a fixed layout, so using an image with the widths
you want should give you no problem.

    Also, if you're using the faux-column technique, you don't need to set
the background color for the columns anymore, doing so could even give you a
small problem if the image's column width is a little smaller than your
actual columns.

    Regards,
    Rafael.