Richard Brown wrote:
> Basically I want to ask the pros and cons of using fixed width
> sidebars with fluid centre column. Is it a big no no or can I do it
> anyway. Are there reasons not to mix pixel width with fluid centres
> please? In terms of code what would be the best solution with the
> 'purest' code please?
>
> Many thanks.

The negative margin concept, explained in this tutorial [1], uses fixed
sidebars with a fluid center column.  It is one of the most stable,
robust, cross-browser  layouts known. "Spin-off" variations
of that concept may be found here [2], and elsewhere on the Web.

[1] <http://www.alistapart.com/articles/negativemargins>
[2] <http://blog.html.it/layoutgala/>

Regards,

~dL