On Nov 8, 2007, at 12:38 AM, Eystein Alnaes wrote:

> I've come across this one before, but didn't find a solution then
> either. So
> I'll just throw it out there -
> In Safari 2.0.4 when shifting a background image on a:hover the
> bottom 1px
> or so comes into view above the un-hovered image. Clearly a bug (in my
> mind), but how to avoid?
>
> some code to illustrate-
> assume you're only seeing 10px height of a 30px tall .png with 10px
> transparency in the middle, shifting it up and down between the two
> states.
>
> a { background: transparent (my30pxtall.png) 0 0 no-repeat;}  /*
> Now there's
> a px extra on top */
> a:hover { background-position: 0
> 100%;}                               /* Now
> there's not */

yeah, it the image is too tall or too wide to fit in the container,
then it start repeating. That is a bug in Safari 2.04 and older. And
I've seen that happening more often in quirks mode or pseudo quirks
mode (transitional doctype). The issue is mostly fixed, I think, in
Safari 3.
You might want to  move your image horizontally instead of vertically
as you do now.
Or include a 'gap' between the tow parts of the image).
Or make the image really taller than needed, so that the repeating
part is not visible.

Philippe
---
Philippe Wittenbergh