Scott Thigpen wrote:
> Okay, so after many attempts I decided to nix the fluid look because I could
> NOT get it to work right, so I decided with just a fixed with.  All works
> well now, but when I try to insert a nav bar, I can't get it to push down
> just my logo.  It works in Firefox (of course) but I can't get it to work in
> IE6 and 7.  Any help you can throw my way would be MUCH appreciated as I am
> just stumped (and have a profound hatred to css)

I thought a bit more about what it is you were trying to do. What you
need to do is simplify your XHTML markup some, use a mixture of fixed
and relative units of measurement  as well as make good use of your
right margins to accomplish your goal,.

I think the bulk of the difficulty of implementing your initial design
was that you were trying to pull off both fluid horizontal layout with
vertical and horizontal centering simultaneously. It can be done, and
it's cool when it works. The key is to provide a smidge of fixed width
on the left side of your structure to act as an anchor point for the
whole design, setting off the relatively-dimensioned elements to the
right of it with a fixed margin-right value.

Think of an accordion, or a bellows, and how the inner folds are fluid
while the ends are rigid.

Of course, the whole thing would be easier if all browsers behaved the
same way, but the underlying principles remain the same.