My users run about 95% IE, 3% FF, and 2% "Other".

With that user base, I'd target IE7 first if it weren't for the

fact that conditional stylesheet code only works for IE.  So I'm

forced to code for FF first, not because it adheres to standards,

but because I can't code alternate stylesheet for it.

But anyway, are you asking about an example of conditional stylesheet code?

Maybe not.  But if not, then just choose any IE6 or IE7 hack that's currently

employed in a main stylesheet.  Then along comes IE8 and the hack causes
problems.

Now all the hacks have to be "re-hacked" somehow for IE6 (hopefully it'll be
gone),

IE7, and IE8.  But if all IE6 and IE7 CSS is in browser specific stylesheets,
then

it won't matter what IE8 works, because it'll never see the IE6 and IE7
stylesheets.

No more having to accommodate IE6's lack of "exactness" with pixels and widths,
etc.

Just give IE6 exactly what it wants to make your site look good in its own
stylesheet.

I've actually found it saves time that way and my sites' looks aren't
compromised

trying to avoid alternative stylesheets.

Rick