Chris Akins wrote:
> Nothing, I guess. But now that I've put the floats in, I'm getting no
>  spacing between #stories and #nav on IE6.  Firefox and Safari show
> it correctly (or as intended anyway).  This page actually started
> being built over a year ago, and I had tried floats.  Now I remember
> why I then went to positioned elements.  Beause of this difference in
> spacing.

You're experiencing the 'margin-doubling on floats' bug in IE6.

Look once more at my example - in IE6...
>> <http://www.gunlaug.no/tos/alien/ca/test_08_0116.html>
...and see that there's no spacing problem. That's because I "killed"
the 'margin-doubling' bug by declaring 'display: inline' on #stories.
Floats can't 'display: inline' so it is a nonsensical declaration, but
it fixes the bug in IE6.

> I don't yet have IE7, so I don't know what it's doing in that
> browser.

Can't see any problems in IE7.

regards
        Georg