Jason,

If I understand correctly, you are after something that looks sort of like
this example:

http://www.jimdavis.org/test/stainlesstest.html

This uses a background image placed in the body {...}. The image is 2500
pixels wide by 1 pixel high with a center section of black that is 760px
wide. The image is given a position of 50% 0 to make the center of the image
appear in the center of the viewport regardless of the users screen width.

The wrapper is set to 740px wide and margin: 0 auto; to place it inside the
black section and leave a little space around the text.

As a side note, you may not want to base your design on any assumption of
the users screen width. The availability of lower cost wide-screen monitors
means larger numbers of users have screen widths that can be wider than you
may anticipate. My screen width is 1920px, for example, and there seems to
be growing numbers of users with even wider widths.

Jim