DAVOUD TOHIDY wrote:

> Now from here I would like to point out an important issue. There has
>  been some people on the internet claiming that Doctype is only for
> "VALIDATION" purposes. I believe they are just joking and that they
> do not see the big picture.

The "big picture" is that browsers misuse doctype as a switch-trigger
for (what one might call) adjustments to their engines, so they can
handle several generations of non-standard and standard based documents
without "breaking the web". Layout and script handling are altered.

The doctype itself _is_ nothing but a declaration of which (X)HTML
standard a document's source-code is based on, so one can check
conformance - validity if you like.

CSS standards - which most visual rendering is based on today - deviated
on several points from the default and attribute-based rendering earlier
(quirks mode) rendering engines was based on, so the need for a
"branching mechanism" appeared. Once that "branching mechanism" was
introduced there was no going back, and we had the "doctype-triggered
mode switch".
Now we have several modes, and one particular browser needs more modes
and is running out of doctypes to switch on and want to introduce new
triggers, while the others seem to have kept their path cleaner and can
continue building on existing rendering modes.

This only to say that the role of doctype is what each browser make of
it, so if you want to build up a 'rendering comparison table' you'll
have to study the major browser and their respective mode-branches in
quite some detail, and must probably go beyond the misused and abused
doctype pretty soon.
You can start here...
<http://www.webdevout.net/browser-support>
...and add the other rendering modes on top of it.

Since I rarely ever validate my (X)HTML source-code, the only purpose
the doctype has at my end is to tell my fine-tuned version of HTML Tidy
which (X)HTML standard it should clean up my documents against. I think
that is one of the few proper uses one can make of a doctype.

regards
        Georg
--
http://www.gunlaug.no