That is what I'm looking for, except you're hard-coding the width of the
container element. The main content column will have a variable width depending
on the size of the oversized element within it. If I hardcode the container's
width too small, the nav and main columns will tile vertically. If the
container's width is especially large, I'll have horizontal scrollbars that
shoot off way past the main column's edge.

The more I'm thinking about the problem, there just doesn't seem to be a
solution for it. I'll have to have a re-think about how to properly display
oversized elements. I think my only solution is to display it in a one-column
layout...

Thanks for your help!

Chris