Thierry Koblentz wrote:

>> Of vincent pollard
>>
>> i have a table with a bunch of links in it, <a> tags.
>> one of the links is long and has no spaces so the <a> tag is pushing
>> out the table beyond it's set width.
>> how do i force the <a> to wrap?
>
> You can plug a WBR element in the URL:

Which URL? I saw no URL (though I asked for one). You seem to assume
that the link texts are URL, and this might be the case (it's not
uncommon to use URLs as link texts), but then the answer is probably
that the link texts should be rewritten.

When a table cell contains a longish string with no spaces in them, it
is generally not a good idea to try to set the cell width smaller than
needed for the string. At the abstract level, there is no way to decide
where the string could be broken; it depends on the string and its
meaning.

> averylongurlthatdoesnotwant<wbr>towrapnomatterwhatItry

URLs generally should not be wrapped at all. When necessary, there are
guidelines on permissible break points _and_ on delimiters intended to
indicate that a URL has been broken.

> That should work in IE 6, 7 and Firefox (not Safari); and for Opera I
> believe the following would work:
>
> wbr:after {content:"\00200B";}

Interesting. It does work (on Opera 9.10 at least). But as such, <wbr>
is a non-CSS method for doing things (and generally the only practical
way when you wish to permit line breaks inside a string that would not
otherwise be broken).

Jukka K. Korpela ("Yucca")
http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/