A long string of text if you prefer, the "URL" was just a guess. I think it
is just more common to have this issue with URLs.
(I'm not really sure it really matters for the OP though).

> When a table cell contains a longish string with no spaces in them, it
> is generally not a good idea to try to set the cell width smaller than
> needed for the string. At the abstract level, there is no way to decide
> where the string could be broken; it depends on the string and its
> meaning.

It is not always possible to predict the length of a string that will be
plugged in a cell (CMS, etc.)
When there is a good chance that a container can contain such string (URLs,
etc.), a script can plug WBRs every X characters (the string won't break at
every occurrence).

> Interesting. It does work (on Opera 9.10 at least). But as such, <wbr>
> is a non-CSS method for doing things (and generally the only practical
> way when you wish to permit line breaks inside a string that would not
> otherwise be broken).

It's not kosher, but it works until we can use word-wrap:break-word;

--
Regards,
Thierry | http://www.TJKDesign.com