----- Original Message -----
  From: Alan Gresley
  To: Alan K Baker
  Cc: css-d
  Sent: Friday, April 04, 2008 7:17 PM
  Subject: Re: [css-d] Anchor tags

  Alan can you please stop top posting. It's make it hard to follow a
  thread. Observe how I have my replied underneath your message.

  BTW, you changed my code. I had.

  a.selectable {
  width: 100%;
  height:100%;
  display: block;
  z-index: 1;
  position: absolute;
  bottom:0;
  }

  And for all versions of IE use this.

  a.selectable:hover {
     background-image: url(transparent-1by1px.png);
  }

  This is the solution I have used here.

  <http://css-class.com/x/list-items-and-hover.htm>

  and similar

  <http://www.gunlaug.no/tos/alien/lin/test_08_0312.html>

  though Georg's example shows the list whitespace bug in IE8. ????

  Also you have

  selectable a:hover

  shouldn't that be

  #selectable a:hover

  What you want in your source is this

  <!-- ......... Some stuff......... -->

  <a class="selectable" href="scripts/welcome.html"></a>

  Alan

  As a courtesy to you I have 'bottom' posted, but 'top posting' is my 'style'.
No-one else has a problem with it, and I can't keep changing it to suit
everyone. :-)

  Yes, I did alter your code because at first it would not work in any browser,
which may have been something to do with where I placed the HTML.
  I've tried your code again and I've tried variations on it, but it still
won't work in IE6 and IE7 does 'strange' things! I have a header which is
positioned 'absolute', a container (with a background image) that is floated
left, and another container which is positioned 'absolute'. The last container
has four foreground images in boxes with borders on two sides, which are
positioned 'absolute'. The cursor will not become 'active' until it is hovered
over the border on any one of the images, and when it is moved out of the
immediate area of the holding container, it de-activates. I've tried removing
the float on the LH container, but then your code doesn't work at all.

  The live site is at: www.allsaintshove.org with my altered code. Please
excuse the religious content, I'm working on the website as a favour. :-)

  Regards,

  Alan.

  www.theatreorgans.co.uk
  www.virtualtheatreorgans.com
  Admin: ConnArtistes, UKShopsmiths, 2nd Touch & A-P groups
  Shopsmith 520 + bits
  Flatulus Antiquitus