position: absolute;
bottom: 0;
left: 0;
height: 10000px;
width: 100%;
background-image: url(trans1px.htm);
z-index: 1;
}

...and the whole page will be covered by a working anchor in all
browsers - I think (didn't test in IE7).

The problem is how browsers calculate height in percentage - different
and depending on case, and there's not much to gain from battling their
differences for a case like this.
The easiest solution is to *not* use percentage for height but instead
make make the element/anchor *too tall*. The overshooting part
disappears above the screen where it won't be noticed and has no effect
on anything.

This method is demonstrated/tested to the extreme here...
<http://www.gunlaug.no/contents/wd_chaos_07.html>
...and we don't have to go to the extremes for the size of today's and
tomorrow's screens and browser-windows.

regards
        Georg
--