Sam Carter wrote:
[snip]
> Font-family: Calibri, Verdana, Ariel, sans-serif;
>
> Is there a solution which will size Calibri so it roughly matches Verdana
> and Ariel (which works cross-browser)?
>
> (Calibri is a new MS font which renders about 20% smaller than Verdana.)
[snip]

Hi Sam.

You could use a javascript-ed solution which works in conjunction with
CSS in this manner (pseudo-code ...ish):

You create a span in your source code.
In your CSS, style it with {font-family:"Calibri",monospace;}.
Then, create another span with the same content.
Set your CSS for this box to be {font-family:monospace;}.
Do a quick javascript test: if those two spans have equal width, then
the user does not have Calibri on their system. Act accordingly (like
load a different stylesheet, adjust font-size, and so on).

If you need help writing something that'll work for you, let me know.

Best,
Bill Brown
TheHolierGrail.com