Alan K Baker wrote:

> I just came across another discrepancy with IE6 and IE7.

> <http://www.webbwize.co.uk/Test_Area/TEP/index.htm>

> In IE6 and IE7 the #homecontent box is being drawn over the lower
> gradient border, even though its z-index is set to 0 and all of the
> gradient borders are set above 0.

> I wonder if this has been documented anywhere?

#homehead {
z-index: 1;
}

... _is_ the right solution in your case, since IE/win can't stack
children higher than their own A:P or R:P parents relative to elements
outside their parents, no matter what.

This "IE/win stacking bug" has been around since "forever". It is often
mentioned (and lost) in articles about something else, since one has to
work around this bug for all sorts of constructions that rely on
stacking. Can't remember where I read about it first - around 10 years
ago, so google around.

regards
        Georg
--