Victor,
firstly, this is the first time I have ever responded to a query, so bear with
me and expect to receive an email from someone else refuting all I say here,
but here goes anyway:

1) If it's not a typo, your circular brackets: ( and ) need to be curly : { and
} around the width:5em; bit.

2) .menu ul #AB means (as I understand it) and element with an id of AB
_inside_ a ul. Remove the space between ul and #AB to make it mean "the ul with
an id of #AB";

3) If that doesn't fix it, it will be due to the fact that the first section
gives the width to the link, not the ul. In this case you will want to override
the links' width (not the uls')

4) If it still isn't working, you have a problem with specificity. I'm not an
expert, but you may want to add in as much information as you can.

If you need to follow all 4, you would be left with:

.menu ul#AB li a, .menu ul#AB li a:visited{width: 5em;}

Hope that lot helps,

Harry