On Jun 11, 2008, at 5:39 AM, <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]
 > wrote:

> Is it possible to display a unordered list inline, have a hyperlink
> fill the full size of the LI element and force the LI element to
> have a fixed dimension
> using XHTML? It works if I just let it fall back to QUIRKSMODE but
> obviously I don't want that =)
>
> I'm trying to make six LI elements horizontally line up and have a
> dimension of 150x80 pixels and have the entire LI be covered by a
> hyperlink element. I've
> tried these two doctypes with the same outcome. Its only been tested
> on IE7 so far...  IE7, FF, Safari would be nice to have it work in
>
> #menu ul li {     display: inline;     background-color: #000;
> list-style: none;     width: 150px;
>     height: 80px;; }

width and height do not apply to inline elements
<http://www.w3.org/TR/CSS21/visudet.html#propdef-width>

You could float your <li>'s:
#menu ul li {float:left; width:150px; ......}

locking the height is not a good idea, it could give strange results
if the user has a different font-size than the one you have choosen.

Philippe
---
Philippe Wittenbergh
http://l-c-n.com/