Nic Pulford wrote:
> Some time ago, about a year I think, there was some discussion about
>  using fixed divs to fix a header at the top of the page and allow
> the main content to scroll under it, this requires a spacer at the
> top of the content to make the viewable start of the page below the
> header. The problem comes when the site uses anchors the browsers of
> course make sure the anchor is at the top of the page, which is under
> the header. Is there a good solution to making the anchor appear so
> you can see it.

I've solved the problem in one particular case [on CSS-D] by styling the
anchor with an invisible top-extension - 1px wide and as tall as the
fixed header + the part you want to see. That'll let the browsers align
the anchor at the top and keep the relevant content down where it's visible.
I can probably dig up my local demo-case again (one day) if necessary,
but it shouldn't be too hard to style an in-page anchor to achieve such
an offset effect.

(I prefer fixed footers and sidebars myself, so I don't run into the
problem.)

regards
        Georg
--