I believe you must be some kind of genius!  :-)  Your "rough"
corrections always bring things right into line.  Not sure how you do
it so quickly.  But thanks.

In your opinion is there another solution to this design that would
work better? Not asking for you to do the development, but rather to
point me in a better direction if it exists.

What I liked about this framework that I found online was:

fixed width left column - though I'd prefer the source order to be
AFTER the main content
elastic main content area
min and max width for overall dimensions

Things really started getting messy, though, when I started applying
the rounded corners, shadow borders, etc. to the basic page.  Messy
enough that I don't really understand what some of the CSS code does.
Actually that was somewhat true of even the basic framework page.

This is going to be one of probably 3 template files which will drive
our new site, so I do want it to be as easy to work with and flexible
as possible. Thus, if a better method is possible I'd love to pursue
that.

Thanks again for your help with this.

Chris