Hedley Finger wrote:
> I have used the DOM inspector but Firebug will not (yet) install in
> Firefox 3.x, although oddly enough, some of its plug-ins will!

Firebug does work in Firefox 3.x:

http://getfirebug.com/releases/index.html

> I can't get Chrome to install properly and *function* on Windows XP
> SP3.  And for some weird reason it installs in my home directory, not in
> "C:\\Program Files\", like every other app on the planet, including
> Google's other apps.  Also, Chrome is built on a version of WebKit
> earlier than that in Safari, so I am afraid I will have to forego
> Chrome's tools.

The reason Chrome installs where it does is discussed here:

http://snipr.com/3tv6c  [stackoverflow_com]

It's a *really* nice browser, so I'd urge you to try it. Perhaps you'll
have more luck with Chromium, the non-branded development version. You
can download nightly builds here:

http://build.chromium.org/buildbot/snapshots/chromium-rel-xp/

More on Chromium here:

http://code.google.com/chromium/

>> Internet Explorer has the Internet Development Toolbar which lets you
>> inspect elements, and to see if they're being given layout.

IE8 beta 2 also has developer tools built in:

http://snipr.com/3tva8  [blogs_msdn_com]

This is possibly the most useful of the lot, especially the rendering
switcher for testing compatibility between 7 and 8.

Charles