Luc wrote:

>> FWIW: My Opera does the same - probably because I have 'minimum
>> font size' set (didn't check).
>
> Didn't check with minimum font size lol.

Always a good idea to test your own designs beyond breaking-point so you
know their weaknesses, before visitors come along and break them for you :-)

> [...]

> After some testing (forgot the formula to calculate ems into %,
> stupid me) i came up with  :

'%' and 'em' have nothing in common in declarations like this, so no
calculation-formula would make sense anyway.

- A width (min/max/whatever) in '%' on the outer container is relative
to body-width/window-width, and that's not a constant since every single
end-user on earth can decide on their own screen width and
browser-window width.

- A width (min/max/whatever) in 'em' on the outer container is relative
to actual font-size in each end-user's browser.

The reason your layout could take both window-width and font-size into
account, is that 'width' is in '%' and 'min/max' are in 'em'. I call
that "conditional elastic", and it'll make the most out of available
software, hardware and user-preferences for all end-users.
Changing units turns it into "something else", that may not fit well
anywhere.
Advice: leave it as it was before.

> max-width:55%; min-width:20%;
>
> and the headings came in place.

No doubt you can find values that work on default-settings at your end,
but try font-resizing on those percentages. No adjustment of
layout-width to font-size anymore.

> But i wasn't sure if that would go nicely with your ie-expression
> Gunlaug.

The ie-expression works totally independent of any regular min/max
declarations - IE6 doesn't understand those "regulars" anyway and other
browsers don't understand ie-expressions. The expression also overrides
'width', and you don't have to tell other browsers what IE6 uses either.
Advice: leave the ie-expression as is.

regards
        Georg
--