Good afternoon Gunlaug,

It was foretold that on 26/10/2008 @ 19:45:47 GMT+0100 (which was
16:45:47 where I live) Gunlaug Sørtun would write:

<snipped a bit>

> - A width (min/max/whatever) in '%' on the outer container is relative
> to body-width/window-width, and that's not a constant since every single
> end-user on earth can decide on their own screen width and
> browser-window width.

> - A width (min/max/whatever) in 'em' on the outer container is relative
> to actual font-size in each end-user's browser.

I see..... learning something new every day :-)

> The reason your layout could take both window-width and font-size into
> account, is that 'width' is in '%' and 'min/max' are in 'em'. I call
> that "conditional elastic", and it'll make the most out of available
> software, hardware and user-preferences for all end-users.
> Changing units turns it into "something else", that may not fit well
> anywhere.
> Advice: leave it as it was before.

Advice that i will follow to the letter :-)

> No doubt you can find values that work on default-settings at your end,
> but try font-resizing on those percentages. No adjustment of
> layout-width to font-size anymore.

You're absolutely right.

> The ie-expression works totally independent of any regular min/max
> declarations - IE6 doesn't understand those "regulars" anyway and other
> browsers don't understand ie-expressions. The expression also overrides
> 'width', and you don't have to tell other browsers what IE6 uses either.
> Advice: leave the ie-expression as is.

Will do :-)

--
Best regards,
 Luc

Using the best e-mail client: The Bat! version 4.0.18 with Windows XP
(build 2600), version 5.1 Service Pack 2 and using the best browser:
Opera.

"The best computer is a man, and it's the only one that can be
mass-produced by unskilled labour." - Wernher Von Braun.