I am having trouble with using the tag < base href="" /> in my html
and it not being translated into my CSS document.  I have declared -

< base href="http://www.foo.com/bar/"; />

in my html head (and above the CSS declaration).  The physical
location of the CSS file is /assets/css/styles.css

In my CSS file, I have element styles like this--

background: url(/images/foo.gif);   /* this doesn't work */
background: url(images/foo.gif);   /* nor does this */

If I manually change the above path to ../../images/foo.gif  then it
works fine, but shouldn't the CSS file be using the base href I
declared?

Thanks,

Marty Martin