Heya All,

I've been trying to find a solution to a concept I want to implement
in a template I'm working on.

I want to have a variable width, centered content block which has a
background image that is wider than the content and doesn't create
scroll bars when the viewport is reduced to the width of the content
or less. The methods I've tried so far have either failed to achieve
the outcome of have resulting in scroll bars making the extra imagery
accessible.

Initially I would be aiming to get an image in the background but I
can see numerous uses for actual content in the area the viewport
ignores (content img with a background image behind for effects or
dynamic effects not critical for content). There is no overflow code
that allows the content to be rendered outside its block and not to
instigate scroll bar creation. I've tried negative margin blocks
which create a scroll bar.

If I haven't made the concept clear enough (most likely) here is a
fixed width site with a basic version of what I'm after...
http://www.sc2armory.com. That site uses a fixed background image on
a fixed width site but I need the background imagery split into two
chunks so the content can vary width dynamically.

At the moment all I need is a direction of attack. I'm sure it is
possible to produce the effect I'm after i just don't know the
technique and can't find it so far.

Wesley Lamont