> From: Michael Adams <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> Date: Wed, 05 Nov 2008 07:04:52 +1300
> To: <css-d@lists.css-discuss.org>
> Subject: Re: [css-d] The 1 px terror - Help.
>
> On Tue, 04 Nov 2008 15:36:46 +0000
> Came this utterance fomulated by MEM to my mailbox:
>
>> Gunlaug Sørtun Wrote:
>> "When you don't declare font-size and/or line-height, all browsers
>> will use their own default values."
>>
>> I see... so it's default BUT we have to give him same values so he
>> can't"default by himself". And since there isn't any update list of
>> what properties the browsers use differently by default and what
>> properties they don't use differently by default, it's a good practice
>> to declare all by ourselves. - Please tell me this is correct (or
>> don't) :)
>>

> This is a philosophical choice. "Do i want to control the user
> experience?" versus "Do i allow the user to control how they see my
> website?". The user can overrule practically anything you set anyway,
> and WCAG recommendations see that as a good thing.
>
> http://www.xs4all.nl/~sbpoley/webmatters/fontsize.html
> http://informationarchitects.jp/100e2r/
> May help you see things differently.
>
> --
> Michael
>
> All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall
> be well
>
>  - Julian of Norwich 1342 - 1416

I feel that setting font size, line height, etc. is about ensuring
consistency in the display of your content in any particular browser. It has
no relevance in controlling the user experience -- unless you choose to use
absolute length units.

Eric Meyer expressed this very nicely
(http://meyerweb.com/eric/thoughts/2007/05/01/reset-reloaded/):

"... Think of these as a starting point for creating your own defaults, in
addition to being a way to illuminate the nature of browser defaults. Simply
the act of taking those defaults into consideration and thinking about them
closely puts you ahead of 99% of your peers. I do think that reset styles
are quite useful; otherwise, I wouldn't have written about them here, and
certainly not to the extent that I have. My hope is that people will use
them as a launch pad for their own resets and for deeper thinking about
styling and browsers."

I use Tantek Celik's undohtml.css as a base for all my pages:
http://tantek.com/log/2004/09.html

---
Alyda