Blake wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 5, 2008 at 8:54 AM, Ingo Chao <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> This will slow down
>> "new inventions" a bit - which is good

Actually, I said: "... which is good since the "conforming" browsers are
not as free of bugs as some may believe."

> What? Restricting innovation is never ever good. Ever.

You have to use table-layout:fixed in CSS-tables used for layout to get
predictable widths. Safari has a bug#13339 with paddings on the cells in
the fixed layout, so you'll have to set up inner divs for padding
purposes. Firefox has a bug#363326 which basically requires putting a
div in a div in a div (for cell, row, table). Both bugs add up, you'll
need 4 divs until you can actually work with one cell for layout
purposes. Looks ugly, but code is for machines.

The inline-block workaround we described for the missing
display:table-support does need a few lines of css for IE6+7 in addition
(ok, alternatively, you could place a sign "Designed with IE Version 8
or newer in mind", hoping for progress to come).

> This is why the development community has been bashing IE on the head
> with a frying pan for as long as I can remember. IMO it's the
> environment slowing us down, not the tools.

What I'm asking is not a "What?", but a "how to...?", since I was
testing css-tables in a real-world example and lots of test cases.
Current implementations seem to be not that ready for this type of
layout, as you need workarounds for /all/ browsers.

Not too difficult to do, but somewhat restricting, at least for me.

Ingo

--
http://www.satzansatz.de/css.html
http://www.dolphinsback.com