Yeah, I can see the problem. But in most cases we would set a left margin on
the content div to reserve space for the left column, so this issue may not
that important.
I think the big problem of this clearing way is that the cleared element
would stay below *All* previous floats, see this demo:
http://fouragency.co.uk/test.html
You can see the yellow box of content div extends to below the left sidebar,
instead of just enclosing the text and the float within its content.

Thanks