ray wrote:
> Yeah, I can see the problem. But in most cases we would set a left
> margin on the content div to reserve space for the left column, so
> this issue may not that important.

We would..?
I would hardly ever do that...

Sorry, but I see no point in looking for the best overall method, since
every single method put restrictions on how one can lay out a design.
Looking for the best method for one particular type of layout is another
matter, but then the conditions are given and the restrictions accepted.
If the "overflow: hidden" method works for your case(s), then it is
probably fine to use it there.

The "overflow: hidden" method rarely ever works for me, since I'm almost
always placing content-elements over the edge of containers. Hate to
see those cut off, or having to restrict my positioning to inside
containers.

I have to agree with Thierry in that the "easy clearing" method is more
adaptable and places fewer restrictions on layout. In most cases I use
float to contain floats though, clear these container-floats with
existing content, and keep the "easy clearing" in reserve.

The "best" approach is to know all available methods in depth, so one
can choose the one that works best in each case. One may even have to
spread several methods around in one layout in order to avoid
standardized restrictions - not to mention browser-bugs.

regards
        Georg
--
http://www.gunlaug.no