I'm relatively new to CSS and I'm really enjoying the challenge of
separating content from presentation.  However, I'm wondering how pure
one "ought" to be.

I'm currently playing with this wee block of HTML:

<fieldset class="formcontent">
    <legend>Subscribe to our mailing list</legend>
    <label for="email">Enter your E-mail address</label>
    <input class="inputwidth" type="text" id="email" name="email" />
    <input type="submit" name="subscribe" value="Subscribe" />
  </fieldset>

I'd like the legend to be BOLD, so I have two (or possibly more!)

<fieldset class="formcontent">
    <legend style="font-weight:bold">Subscribe to our mailing
list</legend>

or

<fieldset class="formcontent">
    <legend class="formbold">Subscribe to our mailing list</legend>

with a class such as:

.formbold {
        font-weight: bold;
}

Similarly, in a block of text, is it permissible to put in-line <em> or
<strong> tags - e.g.

You <strong>MUST</strong> bring your Registration Form with you when you
attend your first class.

Thanks

Edward