> 50% + 50% isn't always exactly 100% ... you can expect 100% +/-1px,

Yup, that's why I thought maybe one of the ('overflow', 'margin',
'padding', 'border') css properties would do the trick. I guess not in
this case.

> With line-ups like yours the easiest solution is to pull in the
> backside-margin on the last float, so the actual width becomes less than
> the visual width...

Aha, so that's the trick. Interesting, I wonder why the 'overflow'
property doesn't come into play here though.. At any rate, many thanks
for that clear and succinct explanation. That looks like the
work-around I've been looking for.

Thanks again Georg!