Michael Park wrote:

>> With line-ups like yours the easiest solution is to pull in the
>> backside-margin on the last float, so the actual width becomes less
>>  than the visual width...
>
> Aha, so that's the trick. Interesting, I wonder why the 'overflow'
> property doesn't come into play here though..

IE doesn't treat 'overflow' correctly in the first place, and dimensions
are miscalculated and float dropped before it "looks at" 'overflow' anyway.

> At any rate, many thanks for that clear and succinct explanation.
> That looks like the work-around I've been looking for.

Pulling and pushing of margins on floats can make all browsers render
the most complex and width-confusing constructions perfectly stable.
Nothing has to be what it looks like when dealing with floats.

I've tried to explain this in more depth here...
<http://www.gunlaug.no/contents/wd_additions_26.html>
...and included as many links to examples and relevant internal and
external articles as I could think of.

regards
        Georg
--