OK, I made a reply to the author here with exactly the same method as Rahul,
but will stick my correction as a lame CSS 2.1 "hack" here. It requires
extra markup, but works until better alternatives are available (3).
Apply repeat-y to #foo and position a corner/top (or bottom/corner)
background-image for #bar (which has no explicit content and should
have zeroed-out padding and margins).

It's worked for me a couple of times.
On Mon, Nov 17, 2008 at 11:36 PM, Philippe Wittenbergh <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>wrote:

> On Nov 18, 2008, at 4:19 PM, Rahul Gonsalves wrote:
>
> >> What I want is, for example, an image that repeats along the y-axis
> >> to start 50px from the top of its container and repeat all the way
> >> down from that
> >> point on.
> >
> > #foo { background: #000 url(background.jpg) repeat-y fixed 0 50px;}
>
> Er, no, that won't do.
>
> In short, with CSS 2.1 you can't do what you want, if I understand
> correctly: position a background-image 50px from the top of the
> container, and then repeat down from there.
> When you think about: 'repeat-y' means repeat the image all over the
> height of the container.
>
> Philippe
> ---
> Philippe Wittenbergh
> http://l-c-n.com/

Jonathan Berry, M.A.
IT Consultant
619.306.1712(m)
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
"I think the real reason the Extropy Institute closed is because Ayn Rand
rose from her cryo-sleep" -digibrill
____
( @ o )
/ | | | | \ Chumby.com

This E-mail is covered by the Electronic Communications Privacy Act, 18
U.S.C. ?? 2510-2521 and is legally privileged. This information is
confidential information and is intended only for the use of the individual
or entity named above. If the reader of this message is not the intended