I am new to a lot of CSS.  I have been trying to get a horizontal
menu to position.  I have looked through the archives and found an
List Apart example that I could duplicate in isolation:

http://www-rohan.sdsu.edu/~nmisiasz/test/ListApart2.html

I then tried to position the menu with my other elements.
http://www-rohan.sdsu.edu/~nmisiasz/test/TestMenu.html

My problems are:

1) positioning
2) font color of white has been lost or superseded.
         I checked with Firebug and it does not seem to be the result
of the cascade.

To put the matter in context, I am trying to update an existing site:

http://www-rohan.sdsu.edu/~latamweb/index.html

I would like to keep a similar look.  My sense is that CSS is more
fluid and I will not be able to get the menu bar to exactly align
with the image that follows it.  I do not know what to do that would
make an attractive alternative.

Thanks for any help you may give.

Nadine