HI Peter,
I've been struggling with archiving lots of materials to PDF recently, and
the curly quotes get changed to straight ones consistently in the OCR—quite
maddening—so I sympathize with your plight about these small but important
details.

What you are doing looked correct to me, so I decided to do an experiment
and and made a very simple page using “ and ” entities for the
quotation marks within blockquote tags.

http://www.boletta.com/blockquote/

The HTML and CSS on my page both validate. i wonder why. I can't see any
difference between what you are doing and what my HTML does. Maybe someone
else can catch something and will tell us what is going on.

Bill Boletta