On Mon, 24 Nov 2008 01:02:22 +0000, Benjamin Hawkes-Lewis wrote:
> Peter Hyde-Smith wrote:
>> Will someone please enlighten me regarding whether different browsers render
>> the
>>

> No, none do.
>
> In HTML4 browsers are supposed to add quotation marks for Q (inline
> quotations) not
> BLOCKQUOTE (quotations containing blocks). Most modern browsers, including
> IE8 Beta 2
> but not including IE6 and IE7, add such marks to Q. But you'd likely want to
> adjust
> which marks with CSS.

Good thinking.

I'm working on a new site, and use scripting to add quote marks to Q
for IE 5-7. As beloved list mom Eric says, "JavaScript will save us all."

 <http://meyerweb.com/eric/thoughts/2008/10/22/javascript-will-save-us-all/>

FWIW - If you use UTF-8 throughout your development cycle, you don't
need to use those ugly HTML entities. Kinder to your spell checker, too!

Cordially,
David