Ok. Thanks a lot to all the replies.
I've read a little and I've done that and a botch of new adds and removes.

The new result is here:
http://www.cantinho.org/etic/modulo4/layout5.html

and the new css here:
http://www.cantinho.org/etic/modulo4/css/layout5.css

If we want to put the footer wider than all other layout components, to
achieve something like this:

============   --> this is the footer wider.

We cannot just give a bigger width to the container and also a bigger with
to footer right?

For doing this, do we have to take the footer out of the container, or we
can achieve this by letting the footer inside the container?

Thanks again,
Márcio