On Thu, 15 Jan 2009 14:00:57 +1100, Fiona Hayward wrote:

> Ignore that last post - I found the offending article.  It was an image that I
> overlooked at the bottom of the page.
>
> Just wondering though, why was IE6 the only browser that dropped the float....

As I understand it, IE versions prior to version 7 expand a container
to hold a larger element that's inside it, instead of allowing the larger
element to overflow it. I have had the same problem with a table inside
a DIV, so it's not only images that cause this.

A common solution is to apply "overflow-x: hidden;" to the container,
but that will cut off any overflowing content, which is not always
what you want.

As far as I know, there is no way to get IE 5 - 6 have the oversize
element overflow the container the way it ought. Anyone?

Cordially,
David