Ron Koster wrote:

> And I can create a site with tables, and -- assuming that I'm happy
> with my design -- I *don't* have to subsequently look at, analyze and
> improve on the code, having to come up with all sorts of hacks and
> fixes to make it work right (and always worrying, still, if I did
> actually get it right), and constantly worrying about what the next
> versions of browsers are going to do, all the testing and fixing that
> I'll have to go through, over and over again, forever re-doing and
> re-learning everything that I've already done/learning, forever
> having to "fix" things that were previously fixed (often with great
> time, effort and exasperation).

> [...]

> My code might *look* like there's more work involved in creating it,
> but what you're not showing in your code is all the countless hacks
> and fixes that you have to implement "behind the scenes" -- whereas
> my code requires *none*, *zero*, and in all likelihood never will.

Ron:

Frankly, I think your e-mails reflect the old way of thinking about the
web. Yet in your own work from your signature you do not reflect the old
way of development except in that you use tables for the outer layout.

1. You use a valid document type.  Essential to modern development.

2. Your HTML validates (except for maybe some JS you haven't wrapped in
<!-- //-->).

3. You use fairly semantic HTML instead of DIV for everything.

4.  You do the bulk of your styling with CSS.

So I guess my question is what exactly is it that you're doing that you
need a zillion "fixes" and "hacks" to make it work?  I haven't had to do
that kind of development in years.

Don't let this list confuse you.  People have innumerable CSS problems
because we are all learning and growing in CSS, not because CSS is
critically flawed in the ways you have come to believe.

It is not only possible to develop 100% hack free CSS based web pages,
but it is possible to do so quickly and efficiently.  The browser wars
are over and the good side won.  Now 99% of non vision-impaired web
users have browsers that are IE 6 or newer (80% are much newer than IE
6) and this means the days of hacking and witching our HTML into cross
browser compatible pages are over.

Trust me when I say that if I had to do the things you outline above to
make money in CSS development then I would run far, far away from all
of this.

I challenge you to throw away the tables.  If you have an issue between
browsers you can't clear up then bring it to the list and we'll all talk
about it. Developing for the web without tables should not be the
stressful situation you outline above.  If it is then you're doing it wrong.

-Adam Ducker (http://adamducker.com)