Ingo Chao wrote:
> How about a discussion like: how do we use CSS 3 with an IE6-userbase
>  of greater than x% in years to come?

I suggest we use this method...
<http://www.gunlaug.no/contents/wd_additions_12.html>
...and this...
<http://www.gunlaug.no/contents/wd_additions_16.html>
...and bog those old versions down with IE-expressions and scripts so
the outcome at least looks like something.

> Can we re-think degradation, this time without grace, and convince
> clients and co-workers that a page does not have to look the same
> across browsers, as long as a basic functionality is preserved?

Disgraceful degradation is fun and quite efficient, but I think we'll
have a hard time convincing clients and co-workers that this is the way
to go until IE7 and all its predecessors are below the 10% mark.

The way it looks now we may also have to wait until IE8 has dropped back
to well below that mark too, and that "thing" isn't even out yet...
<http://www.gunlaug.no/contents/molly_1_24.html>
So, it may take a while.

> But how to design with and without border-radius, with and without
> multi-columns, with and without multiple backgrounds? I don't know
> how to find a pragmatic balance between CSS 2 and 3.

I suggest not using the browser-specific variants for real - only the
standardized ones, and wait till browsers catches up with and stabilizes
on the relevant standards - and us.

If we use browser-specific extensions outside our sandboxes, we may
create unnecessary splits between browsers that are otherwise more or
less on the same level, and may in some cases promote inferior browsers
over superior ones on some pretty unstable grounds. We may also create
the need to go back and fix things once the standard versions kicks in,
as test-versions and standard-versions may not give the same results.

My pragmatic approach in this respect seems to lead to well-balanced
results now and then...
<http://www.gunlaug.no/contents/wd_additions_43.html>
<http://www.gunlaug.no/contents/wd_additions_45.html>
...so I'm either quite good at predicting the future, or extremely
lucky. Probably the latter, but I like to think it's the former.

I'm also constantly keeping track of what browsers can and cannot do
for me, without having to fear my layouts getting seriously broken...
<http://www.gunlaug.no/contents/wd_additions_42.html>
Not a "valid" approach, I'm afraid, but it works. It also alleviates the
sense of boredom caused by slow progress across browser-land and
elsewhere :-)

regards
        Georg
--