Hello,
I was working on a CSS scalable button solution at my work.  I
particularly need horizontal scaling for the button, because the end
user is able to change his or her locale.  When the locale is changed,
all text, including button text is changed to the new language.

However, the "button" is actually an <a> tag rendered from an ASP.NET
linkbutton control.  I cannot manipulate this control at all.  Another
aspect that makes this task challenging for me is that there is an
arrow symbol within the button to the left of the text.  Lastly, this
has to work in IE6, because all the client's users are using it.
Because of the IE6 requirement and the fact that this <a> tag is
rendered, I don't think I can use the following types of solutions:

http://monc.se/kitchen/59/scalable-css-buttons-using-png-and-background-colors
(IE6 doesn't render pngs correctly)
http://www.jankoatwarpspeed.com/post/2008/04/30/make-fancy-buttons-using-css-sliding-doors-technique.aspx
(Can't insert anything into the <a> tag)
http://perfectionlabstips.wordpress.com/2008/11/25/stretchable-css-buttons/
(Can't insert anything into the <a> tag)
 (I also tried searching in the CSS-discuss archives, but the
solutions I saw generally revolved around the above or for use with
other HTML tags)

I was trying some other way of doing this.  My example is here:
http://www.stephentang.info/csstest/test.html

There is no ASP.NET code here, but just pretend that the <a> tag is
rendered from ASP.NET.  In this example, I tried to use a <li> tag
with an <a> tag.  The two background images are GIFs, with one GIF
being 300px wide to accommodate long strings (not ideal) and the other
GIF being 19px that has the arrow symbol.  It looks like fine in FF,
but it blows out in IE6 and IE7.  The left and right halves are on
opposite ends of each other from the float rules.  I am not sure how
to keep the two halves together in IE6 and IE7.  (Should I enclose the
entire code in a DIV and set a width?).

Has anybody had to work with this scenario?

Thank you for reading this.

Sincerely,
Stephen Tang