I'm not sure if I understand what exactly you need. The code looks
messy with display: block and float: right on <a>.

However, I see two quick ways you could solve this :-

1. The quick and dirty way is to use inline-block on <a> and set a
width on it. Replace your existing 2 images into one, like this:

Image: http://img102.imageshack.us/img102/3959/submitnewud6.gif

On Hover: http://img518.imageshack.us/my.php?image=submitnewhoverxq5.gif

Here's the CSS:

body, ul, li { margin: 0; padding: 0;}
ul, li { list-style: outside none; list-style-type: none;}
ul.submitbuttons li { font-size: 11px; height: 18px;}
ul.submitbuttons li a {
        background: url(images/submit_new.gif) left top no-repeat scroll;
        color: #fff;
        font-size: 11px;
        text-decoration: none;
        display: inline-block;
        width: 299px;/* minus padding-left*/
        padding: 2px 0 3px 20px;
}
ul.submitbuttons li a:hover {
        background: url(images/submit_new_hover.gif) left top no-repeat scroll;
}

No change in the mark-up is needed. You can remove the extra classes
on <li> and <a> if you want.

- Mustafa Quilon