I have had ( and surely others have also had) clients who were so insistent
the webpage (as designed by their long-time advertising company) be as
static as the printed page that they furnished a JPEG image of the desired page and I was instructed that web page was to consist of that single image.

There is very little to be done when the client insists.

Del

When the client insists, it is our responsibility to educate them on the nature of the web medium, how many visitors to their site will think they are incompetent, how expensive/time-consuming it will be to update, how inflexible it is... and generally, this sort of thing would be ironed out before the client becomes a client in the first place, via a thorough client survey, project questionnaire, and so on.

As web developers, we have a responsibility to be environmentally/ quality-conscious, and not continue to litter the internet with garbage. Refer clients to Steve Krug's book, to web articles, to Jeffrey Zeldman's writings -- whatever it takes to discontinue bad work.