I know this whole thing is did to death already... but I just read some of this, and it makes me think.

I suspect that a lot of the table based layout enthusiasts are people who made a switch (partial even) from desktop publishing. Ron mentioned he did, and I have some clients that have websites built in tables that think like the webpage is a printed page. Most of them never look at code at all, they just use Dreamweaver or something, and they want their content to sit on a page and not move, the text to be the same size that they said it was going to be, and look the same way to everyone... just like a book/brochure/what-have-you.

I have had ( and surely others have also had) clients who were so insistent the webpage (as designed by their long-time advertising company) be as static as the printed page that they furnished a JPEG image of the desired page and I was instructed that web page was to consist of that single image.

There is very little to be done when the client insists.

Del