Gunlaug Sørtun wrote:
> Sandy wrote:
>
>> Is there a way to get lists to use decimal points?
>

> Think so, but it has been a while since I tested it...
>
> <http://www.w3.org/TR/CSS21/generate.html#content>
> <http://www.w3.org/TR/CSS21/generate.html#counters>
>
> ...and I can't remember where I left those tests :-)
>
> Won't work in IE7 and older. IE8 should do fine, I think.
>

> Also: if numbering is important part of content, generated stuff won't
> do - not even an ordered list's regular counters. Only numbers as real
> text will work then.
>
> regards
>     Georg

Georg, thanks yet again for your help.

Do screen readers not read generated list counters? Acck! JAWS and
WindowEyes both, or just one or the other? How would you let a screen
reader know that you are in a list if you are using real numbers?

Would an <li> with no bullet work if you wrote

Is there another reason than accessibility that numbers as real text are
what we need?

thanks!
Sandy