2009/3/15 Gunlaug Sørtun <gunla...@c2i.net>:
> Ib Jensen wrote:

> My viewport / screen is 3840pixel wide on one machine, but it is
> 1280pixel wide on another machine and 1440pixel wide on yet another.

Kind a the same problem here:

I'm developing on a 19" widescreen, resolution unknown for the moment.

I'm writing this, looking for tips and tricks and seing my own and
other sites on a 22" widescreen.

> You have to decide if the 100% starting-width is 800, 1024, 1280,
> 1600pixel or something else, since you can't convert percentages into
> 'em' directly for anything but font-size and line-height.

Now you are forcing me do something quit new to me, taking
descissions. Problably because I want to much at the same time.
But I assume that the mostly used monitor-size is either a 17" or 19"
screen, then it should be something around 800 or 1024px.

> If your 100% starting-width is 800pixel, then "800/16='em'" will hit
> right as long as we're dealing with the default font-size for 96dpi.
> If browsers correct correctly for resolution, then it'll still be
> correct (in a manner of speaking) for other resolutions.
>
> Problem is: browsers are not very good at the "various resolution" game
> yet, so you may get more than one actual width as result on higher
> resolutions - depending on browser.
>
> Hope that came through a bit clearer.

I think.

That means roughly, that a "developer" should have at least three
screens with different resolutions and X number of browsers installed,
on different systems, to in fact have a chance to guess which size of
units to use.

--
Regards / Mhv.
Ib K. jensen - http://ikjensen.dk