Thanks for your generous feedback, Philippe!  Some follow-up questions, below.
. .

>> To get all containers to
>> ‘conclude’ at the same point, at the bottom of the page, I’ve given their
>> bottom-most elements the margin-bottom measurements required to do that.
>> However, I’m getting unexpected results that
>> I don’t understand:

>Specifying a line-height will
normalise things a little. . .
While the #main div has line-height on all <p>s, you're right -- there was no
line-height in the #left div.  I just tried adding the same
line-height, there, but it made no difference.  IE gives a 2px bottom space to
every li,
while FF doesn't -- but, since the problem also occurs in other
browsers, it's probably not because of that.

>Google 'faux columns', or try one of the following techniques:
I read Dan Cederholm's article
(http://www.alistapart.com/articles/fauxcolumns/), but I'm not 100%
sure I get it:  in my situation, I already have a repeating background
image on my body element, but
it must tile horizontally, not vertically, because the top third of my
viewport has a white body background, and the rest has a dark slate
background.  Am I misunderstanding how the fauxcolumns would work?

>http://www.positioniseverything.net/articles/onetruelayout/
I see that, since its invention, many bugs have rendered this technique
almost impossible
(http://www.positioniseverything.net/articles/onetruelayout/appendix/equalheightproblems).

>http://www.satzansatz.de/cssd/companions.html

While I think I get the concept (and it's very neat!), the technical side of
this one is way beyond my current level.

Personally, I'd go with a 'ragged end-of-page' by design :-)
Do you mean to just let the divs end wherever they may, and forget about the
aesthetic consequences -- or to come up with a design in which such a
consequence will be in keeping with an important design motif?

Thanks again, Philippe!

All the best,
Michael

> 2) In Firefox, zooming all
> elements gives the #left div greater or lesser height than its neighbouring
> div, depending on the degree of zoom.

Text
zoom or page zoom ?  With page zoom, there is little difference. With
text-zoom, the columns will on grow based on the text content. The
margins in your left column will not change the same way, as they are
specified in pixels.

> Are these differences the
> result of my own errors, or normal browser behaviour?
>
> If the result of browser
> behaviour, I’d rather just find a way to ensure that all divs conclude at the
> same point (and leave the minor differences alone), rather than write
> re-calibrated measurements for each browser.  Is there a way to do this?

Google 'faux columns', or try one of the following techniques:
http://www.positioniseverything.net/articles/onetruelayout/
http://www.satzansatz.de/cssd/companions.html

Personally, I'd go with a 'ragged end-of-page' by design :-)

PS
- the little images in your #left column contain a colour profile. This
causes a (severe) colour mismatch in browsers that support colour
management for images (Safari, Firefox 3.5b). The embedded colour
profile is the one coming from Photoshop when saving for web.
I use pngcrush to strip it out.

Philippe
---
Philippe Wittenbergh
http://l-c-n.com/

The total height of those 2 columns will also depend on the
line-height, and how browsers interpret the 'normal' keyword - you
don't specify any line-height as far as I a can tell.
Specifying a
line-height will normalise things a little, but you might still be at
the mercy of differences in rounding of values to the nearest pixel
between browsers.

I've got line-height: 135% on all the <p> text in the #main div, but none on
the elements in the #left div.  I just tried adding the same line-height,
there, but it made no difference to the ragged-end-of-page problem.  In order
to see what may be happening, I gave all the #left elements borders, and saw
that IE gives a 2px bottom space to every li, while FF doesn't.  However, since
the problem also occurs in other browsers, I don't want to begin applying hacks
unless I know what I'm doing.