Hi,
The final result of this line of thought is shown here:
http://stephentang.info/floattest/test2.html

Based on feedback here, I think this solves my issues:
- Changed the background bullet image into a list-style-image.
- Used position: relative and left properties on the ul to shift the
bulleted list away form the floated element, if the list extends past
the bottom of the floated element, wrapping occurs normally, which is
what was desired.

Thanks for those that who contributed advice to this.

--Stephen