I'd like to add my two cents to Kevin's suggestions. I've used IE Tester in
the past and found it to be convenient, but it isn't always a perfect
representation of how the various versions of IE will handle a particular
web site. This is especially true when dealing with advanced cookies or
Javascript.

Instead, I prefer to use the Virtual PC images made available by Microsoft.
The whole setup is free and provides an exact replication of different
environments from IE6/XP to IE8/Vista.

Virtual PC 2007 (free):
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=04D26402-3199-48A3-AFA2-2DC0B40A73B6&displaylang=en

Images for IE6, IE7 and IE8: